Looking for a quick and inexpensive homemade dog treat recipe? Well look no further! This recipe has just 3 ingredients that are all relatively inexpensive and you might even have them lying around your house already!
I've tried a few different versions of this recipe before finding the perfect texture for my dogs. I've also given these as gifts to friends for their dog's birthday! These dog treats are just THREE ingredients you can find at any grocery store plus Baked in Colorado's beverage enhancer.
What is CBD?
CBD is short for cannabidoil. Unlike THC, CBD is NOT a psychoactive drug. CBD will not cause a "high" feeling or any mental or physical impairment. CBD helps with health conditions including chronic pain, nausea, anxiety, and sleep disorders. CBD is safe for human and pet consumption.
What are the benefits of giving my dog CBD?
Daily CBD use can ease several conditions such as anxiety (including separation anxiety), stress (including from loud noises such as fireworks), moderate to severe pain, inflammation, arthritis, joint pain, digestion problems, nausea, symptoms from cancer, seizures, various skin conditions, and sleeplessness.
Have other questions? Visit our FAQ page.
My Recipe Tips:
For the oatmeal: use old-fashioned or rolled oats. Do not use steel cut or instant oats for this recipe for best results.
For the sweet potato: don't peel the potato before cooking it
Peanut butter: you can use crunchy or creamy, but make sure it is is unsalted and does not contain any kind of sugar or other additives. Do NOT use peanut butter that contains xylitol, as it is toxic to dogs.
Measuring CBD beverage enhancer dosage
This recipe makes roughly 16 servings. Decide how much CBD you want to have in each cookie then multiply by 16 for the total dosage. As a general rule, we recommend 1-2 mg CBD per 10 pounds of dog.
An example: You have a 30 pound dog who has recently started using CBD.
30lbs / 10lbs of dog = 3 mg - 6mg recommendation
3mg x 16 servings = 48 mg of CBD for the ENTIRE recipe
3 Ingredient CBD Dog Treats
1 large sweet potato
3 cups of rolled or old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup of peanut butter
Pre-determined amount of Baked in Colorado CBD beverage enhancer
1. Bake your unpeeled sweet potato at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until you can easily insert a fork into it.
2. Set sweet potato aside to cool. Lower oven temp to 250 degrees.
3. Once cooled, peel the sweet potato and discard the skins. Then mash the sweet potato.
4. Measure 3/4 cup of mashed sweet potato and set aside.
5. Add two cups of oats to a blender or food processor until it has a flour-like consistency.
6. Combine the rolled outs, the blended out flour, sweet potato, and peanut butter, and desired amount of Baked in Colorado beverage enhancer in a bowl.
7. Roll dough until it is about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Then cut into any shape you like.
8. Place the cutouts onto a Parchment-lined baking sheet.
9. Cook at 250 degrees for 2 hours.
Important: store the treats in an airtight container. The treats will last longer if placed in a refrigerator.
Not looking to make treats yourself? Check out Baked in Colorado's meat flavored CBD treats. The CBD used in our treats is grown in Colorado and third party lad tested for quality. Our ingredients are gluten free, non GMO, and contain NO THC. Have questions? Check out the FAQ page.